Networking isn’t only when you’re rubbing elbows, shaking hands and exchanging business cards.
Here’s how you can network without networking:
- Change the way you think about networking. Networking isn’t talking about your business with the intention of gaining a customer/client; it’s an exchange of valuable information between you and someone else.
- Be professional whenever you leave the house. It’s usually when we’re trying our hardest not to be seen that we’re seen (funny how that works…). SO, I encourage you to try to be at least look the part whenever you’re out and about because anybody and anytime in any situation could ask what you do. Consider that your appearance will be scrutinized while you’re touting your awesomeness.
- Get outside of your industry. How often do you sell your products and services to the people that sell the same thing as you?? Probably never, right? This is why it’s important to get out of your industry and connect with people that operate in different circles, different niches. THOSE are the people that need what you offer.
- Showcase your expertise. Maya Angelou said, People don’t care what you know, until they know you care”. You can show how much you care about your potential customers by showing what you know that can help them.
- Be authentic. If you’re pretending to do any of these things, trust me, it will come through.
In my conversations with entrepreneurs I’m often told that they don’t like to network because the feel like a sleazy used car salesman trying to force people to buy something. I’m here to tell you that you can create your own definition of networking, and you don’t have to feel sleazy while doing it.
For all intents and purposes, this blog post is my version of networking and one of my many #entrepreneurhacks..so how are you going to network with networking???